https://dailybitcoinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/09/shutterstock_624397298.jpg 696 1000 admin https://dailybitcoinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/bitcoin-300x59.png admin2020-09-16 19:22:082020-09-16 19:23:04Federal Reserve Now Targets Inflation Above 2%, Bitcoin Breaks $11K
Federal Reserve officials said Wednesday they would hold U.S. interest rates at close to zero and work to push inflation above 2% “for some time.”
- Federal Open Market Committee keeps interest rates unchanged close to zero, according to its statement.
- Panel agrees to maintain accommodative monetary policy until inflation climbs above 2% “for some time.”
- The central bank will increase holdings of U.S. Treasury securities and mortgage-backed securities “at least at the current pace to sustain smooth market functioning and help foster accommodative financial conditions.”
- Projection materials released with the statement show officials, on average, expect rates to remain close to zero through 2023.
- On average, officials don’t expect 2% inflation until 2023.
- Robert Kaplan, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Dallas and a voting member of the panel, voted against the plan. He “prefers that the Committee retain greater policy rate flexibility.”
- Neal Kashkari, president of the Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis, also cast a dissenting vote. He prefers that interest rates stay on hold “until core inflation has reached 2% on a sustained basis,” according to the statement.
- Economists weren’t expecting Fed officials to make any changes to U.S. interest rates – which in March were cut close to zero on an emergency basis – as the…
Continue reading at COINDESK.com