https://dailybitcoinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/bitcoin-300x59.png 0 0 Crypto Potato https://dailybitcoinreport.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/09/bitcoin-300x59.png Crypto Potato2020-12-01 16:12:182020-12-01 16:12:18The Changes Continue: Facebook’s Libra Has Been Rebranded To Diem
- Facebook shook the world last year after announcing plans to introduce a “single global digital currency” dubbed Libra. However, the social media giant’s efforts were quickly scalded by global regulators as the project received massive blowback.
- Facebook didn’t give up on its idea. Instead, the company decided to rebrand its two main products. Firstly, the Calibra wallet became Novi, and today, Reuters reported that the Libra name had been changed to Diem (meaning ‘day’ in Latin.)
- Stuart Levey, CEO of the Geneva-based Diem Association behind the digital coin, confirmed that the name change comes as a direct consequence of the regulatory hurdles. He noted that “the original name was tied to an early iteration of the project that received a difficult reception from regulators. We have dramatically changed that proposition.”
- The Diem currency would operate as a signal dollar-backed digital coin. Although Levey failed to specify the timing of the launch, recent reports suggested that it may arrive as early as January 2021.
- Levey further explained that the Novi team has already begun building a digital wallet that will eventually hold Diem coins. Apart from waiting for approval from Swiss regulators to launch, the Diem Network is also in talks with US federal and state watchdogs. However, Levey didn’t disclose the nature of those negotiations.
Source: Crypto Potato